Gas Gauge

How much Gas is Left in the Tank?

I don't know - maybe that is why I ran out of gas on a few trips or when Jeffrey would come over and we would try to start it - He pretty much ended up saying  - "It seems like it is not getting any gas"  My reply was usually -  I put some in the other day.

So there is no gas gauge in the truck - there is a gauge for AMPS and Oil Pressure.



I have been using the wooden end of a small wire brush to see if there is any gas in the tank.

 I never really researched the gas gauge part - until recently.

You see the gas tank is right under the seat - like sitting on a bomb and with the doors that did not open or close properly I never really wanted to fill the tank up - 10 gallons.
Figured it was safer with just a few gallons of gas in there - but when I did drive around - I had 1.5 gallons of gas on the bed with me.



So my search began on where is the gauge, was I missing the gauge, what did they use to measure the gas in the tank of a 1927 Chevy Capital A back then.

You see I can find a stick for a FORD - but then do I want to use a Ford Stick to put in a Chevy Tank?  Yeah that might not sound right, but we are talking about gas gauges.

So I sent an email off to Gary who I have bought parts off before for the truck
(probably made a house payment for him)
but don't tell Linda - cause she doesn't check or follow the blog and she probably thinks I am crazy.

Here is what the emails say:
From: Dave Earsing
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 3:56 PM
To: Gary
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank

Thanks,
My tank is under the seat and the fill spout is flat and I don’t have the gauge at the other end of the tank that I have noticed.  In the truck when I bought it – there was a stick the man used to see what the level was.  I see Ford used a measuring fuel stick, I just can’t find one for Chevy.  Hope all that makes sense.  Thanks for the pictures. R/Dave

I should really research a new tank – one where I am not sitting on 10 gallons of gas……

His reply was:

Sorry,
I did not realize you had a truck. I sent pictures of the car tank. The truck did not have a gas gauge. You had to use a stick to determine the fuel level.
Regards,
Gary

So here is what I have been working on this month.  





I will start measuring one gallon at a time tomorrow.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horn Works - Klaxon - 8C 6volts

KISS

Street Legal